The Bruce Denniston Bone Marrow Society is a volunteer organization and a national registered charity dedicated to raising funds for donor testing and increasing awareness on the importance of the One Match, a program of Canadian Blood Services. The Registry is a central repository responsible for the recruitment and matching of volunteer donors with patients requiring a stem cell transplant. The Society’s head office is in Powell River, BC, with Chapters in British Columbia and Ottawa, ON, assisting in fund raising and public awareness objectives, to the benefit of the Donor Registry.
The purpose of the Society is to engage in activities related to bone marrow transplants, including but not limited to the following:
- Educating the public concerning matters associated with bone marrow and stem cell transplants;
- Increasing the number of names on the One Match Donor Registry;
- Increasing the ethnic diversity represented on the One Match Donor Registry;
- Raising funds for the work of the One Match Donor Registry;
- Raising funds for research related to bone marrow and stem cell transplants;
- Raising funds for the testing of potential donors and recipients, or the performing of bone marrow and stem cell transplants;
- Providing assistance to bone marrow and stem cell donors, recipients or their families.