English > French or French > English – Click icon bottom page right corner
- Canada has performed more unrelated bone marrow transplants per capita than any other nation in the world – to date 1,100 transplants have taken place.
- Over 20 different diseases may be treated with bone marrow transplants from unrelated donors.
- The Canadian Blood Services Unrelated Bone Marrow Donor Registry has over 210,000 potential bone marrow donors registered.
- Over 80,000 potential bone marrow donors are registered in Ontario.
- 740 Canadians have donated bone marrow to Canadian and international patients.
- Within 24 hours of receiving a request for a donor, a search of over 6.5 million potential bone marrow donors can be accomplished.
- The International Registry is currently made up of approximately 45 national registries.
- Because Canada is a nation of ethnic and racial diversity, it will always be necessary to search internationally to find matching donors.